Search squid archive

Re: Adjusting Squid "stale cache" timeout for dead hosts

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 22:17:43 -0800, someone wrote:
I just had one of my webservers go down, unrelated to my squid server on my local lan, but I noticed that after a certain ammount of time, seems
that once squid "realizes that a host is down" it will then serve the
most recent version of the site from cache, which I think is EXCELLENT, i never noticed this before, of course i recently upgraded from squid3
debian lenny, to squid 3.1 in debian squeeze.

One thing tho, how do I adjust the timing on this, in other words, I
mean, instead of squid taking 2 minutes or so to "realize" the actual
host is down and serve cache, how can I reduce this period? to say 20-30
seconds? Clearly I wouldnt want squid to give up on a host with high
latency, but I would like to know how to fine tune this until I get a
satisfactory timing. Or if its possible at all for that matter.

Detection is a count of failed connection attempts. The connection process has a timeout of sorts in connect_timeout, but be careful altering this. In squid up to 3.2 it spans a "connect" process involving all DNS lookups and TCP handshakes needed for attempting connect against *all* IPs of a server, too low and it can miss out on testing some working IPs.

squid-3.1 offers connect-fail-limit=N option to the cache_peer directive to alter the default 10 failures before DEAD is detected. Any success on any traffic to the peer will reset the counter and update to LIVE again.

3.1 does not have limits on how stale things are. That is introduced in 3.2 with support for "Cache-Control: stale-if-error=".

I just think this is a great feature but in order to really make use of it when there are connectivity issues, would like to reduce the ttl on
the cached version served.

NOTE: Some people have encountered trouble getting Squid to detect recovery when turning off all the ICP/HTCP/ICMP/netdb/digest operations to a peer. These are the things Squid is watching to turn HTTP to the peer back on again.

Amos