Search squid archive

Re: cachemanager does not showing current time

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 23:14:48 +0530, Benjamin wrote:
Hi,

When i run squidclient mgr:info

squidclient mgr:info
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Server: squid

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 17:37:47 GMT <------------

Notice how the timezone here is *GMT*. Also known as "international standard time", universal time, UTC, or Zulu.

<snip mgr report>
When i check squid starting time :
ll /var/run/squid.pid
  -rw-r--r-- 1 root squid 5 Dec 13 19:06 /var/run/squid.pid
<--------------------------------

current date and time in server : Tue Dec 13 23:10:42 IST 2011
<----------------------------

Notice how the time you found (using 'date' command I assume) is in some local timezone called "IST". That is the timezone of the building where the server is plugged in. It can change from one minute to the next according to the local government laws, or where the sun and moon are on that day of the year. You can change it yourself randomly if you like in the machine clock config.

Example: A few months ago my whole country entered into our daylight saving timezone a month earlier than usual because some sports game was happening and someone in the government wanted tourists to be walking around in daylight and enjoy the scenery more.

and when i run squidclient mgr:info command at this current time, but
in squidclient mgr:info output i got

Expires: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 17:37:47 GMT <---------------------
Last-Modified: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 17:37:47 GMT <---------------------

Start Time: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 13:36:15 GMT <------------------------------
Current Time:    Tue, 13 Dec 2011 17:37:47 GMT
<------------------------------------

why it showing wrong time. ?

There is nothing wrong.

Your machine is operating in local IST timezone for your convenience identifying important things like meals, work breaks, shop hours, etc.

Squid is operating in GMT/UTC timezone shared with every other Internet machine in order to handle traffic reliably regardless of where it came from.

You can get a good idea of how confusing it would be if Squid and other machines actually operated on local timezones by looking at the world map of what the time is in each country:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Worldwide_Time_Zones_%28including_DST%29.png

As per my understanding while i m use squidclient mgr:info that
command should provide live statistics from cachmgr on commandline, m
i right?

Yes that is right.

Amos