Search squid archive

Re: Make Squid in interception mode completely

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 21:05:27 +0700, Nguyen Hai Nam wrote:
Hi Edmonds,

That's really like my setup right now. But, as Amos said, the traffic
just pass from eth0 to eth1 but don't come to Squid, because it's
bridged. Actually, when watching IP nat table, I still found some nat
rules show up, but at client-side it still looks direct access. And
more strange, if I use an other linux box from LAN to check out by
curl -I http://something.com/ it's returned the header fields that has
"Via: 1.1 (squid 3.2)". I have no idea why.

Hold up. This sounds like it actually *is* working. Possibly you just have some rule that works for one client or subnet but not another.

From the client it *does* look like direct access. This is IMO why people seems to confuse it with transparent proxy. Only with intercept the server sees the Squid IP as the source.

With a bridging box there are four components that have to be configured properly: - bridging rules (on Linux ebtables) must DROP the packets off the bridge logic as they go through the bridge machine (ie they enter the machine and *do not* get bridged, they must stay local to that box). - NAT rules, to pass the packets to Squid *after* they are 'dropped' off of the bridge logic. - routing rules, to properly route the squid outbound packets to the network gateway (and back). - firewall & security limits, to permit any LAN packets to be handled by the bridge box locally. Also to permit the squid<->server traffic in/out.

You will notice these are all the same requirements (and configuration) as required for a routing box but with ebtables/bridging added on top.

Amos

At this moment, I still don't find more documentation from IPfilter
for deeper discovery.

~ Neddie

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Edmonds Namasenda