Search squid archive

Re: Problem with Varnish and intercept Squid

On 4/12/2011 1:30 a.m., Nguyen Hai Nam wrote:
Hi Amos,

I mean the first error is from Squid debug screen.

In my existing configuration, Squid is listening on two ports: 3128
and 3129 intercept just like you said.

I'm just wondering to combine Intercepting Varnish + Squid, because
Varnish do cache contents faster (IMHO). Did you ever try/think about
bring it together?

I do highly appreciate your kind advices.

Thanks,
~ Neddie

Varnish is an optimized for use as a reverse-proxy. Squid is a general proxy. In particular Varnish excells in the area of tiny files from few backends and CPU SMP concurrency from its threading. Whereas Squid excells in medium or large files (100KB+) and supports a wider range of object types cached. At least that was true in 2009 when the last reliable benchmarks were done. Both have changed since then I'm sure. At least Squid has gained SMP concurrency and far faster storage retrieval of small objects.

Amos