Search squid archive

Re: log message oddities -- what do they mean? how to interpret?

On 15/07/11 13:08, Linda Walsh wrote:
Most recent info as at the bottom, but am curious about things I ran
into....

Still have 1 unknown error and no estimate on load handling ability,
But think I will send this off now.

Hopefully others will be able to give it a gander and offer insights....

Thanks!

Linda...

I recently upgraded to 3.2.0.9

As documented this bundle had a lot of deep I/O and communication architectural changes. Instability is/was expected.

Most of the bugs you hit are now resolved in the daily update bundle.
If you need a relatively stable 3.2 release please use 3.2.0.8.

Jul 13 22:28:49 Ishtar squid[10383]: /var/cache/squid/03/29/00003A79
squid[10383]: DiskThreadsDiskFile::openDone: (2) No such file or directory
squid[10383]: /var/cache/squid/03/29/00003A7B
squid[10383]: DiskThreadsDiskFile::openDone: (2) No such file or directory

But looking in those dirs. I can see those files....so what file doesn't
exist?
They are owned by user/group 'squid.squid', w/perms 640.
-----

Either the file did not exist at the time that open was attempted, or the process logging that does not actually have squid:squid permission. Looks like it may be running as user "Ishtar".

NOTE, the above message are ***real*** important personally, as I'm
not getting them with my new build and using aufs.

Seems like their build was using diskthreads.

I don't know if I wanted to use disk threads. (do I?)

Isn't AIO faster or would disk threads be? Of course, aio doesn't seem
to give errors like the ones above! ;-)

Linux works fastest on AUFS, BSD systems works fastest on diskd. Due to a design problem in the AIO implementation of Squid which BSD runs up against.

But, that might be fixable if they are faster....

Anyway -- (just noticed that log message above...as was looking at
current long
messages with 3.2.0.9... am getting many more messages/ much more
verbosity.
I guess my default 'build' settings are for a bit more 'noise'? (or I
don't have
something config'ed correctly in my squid.conf for the new 3.2).

"debug_options ALL,1" perhapse?
There were some messages set at the wring verbosity in 3.2.0.9 and some bugs which cause loud complaints. I think we have got most of those ones out now.

This looks like what I was seeing with 3.1 as well: lots of fails...
with SIG 6's

squid[957]: assertion failed: comm.cc:1904:
"!commHasHalfClosedMonitor(fd)"
squid[7072]: Squid Parent: child process 957 exited due to signal 6
with status 0
squid[7072]: Squid Parent: child process 6023 started
squid[6023]: Starting Squid Cache version 3.2.0.9 for
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu...
squid[6023]: Process ID 6023
squid[6023]: With 16384 file descriptors available
squid[6023]: Initializing IP Cache...

...and restart...

So What's a !commHasHalfClosedMonitor(fd)...and why does it cause death?

pconn issues. We fixed those the other day, so the squid-3.2.0.9-20110714 dialy should be fixed.

----
(before I sent this.....going over and over config and
squid.conf/configure/filesystem!/
addressings and have noticed some things and tried fixes...:

filesystem: looks like both the suse version (and mine, I copied theirs
as closely as
possible, as wanted it to use the same file locations -- presuming that
they had set them
up properly....*cough*)...

/var/squid was (is) set for the comm shared state dir, but it didn't
exist on my machine.

I'm not sure I quite understand what problem you are trying to describe.

Squid-3.2 IPC is (wrongly) hard-coded to use PREFIX/var/run instead of the system local state dir. We are in progress fixing that now.

---
just created it and will see if that fixes that...but now see:

assertion failed: mem.cc:511: "MemPools[t]"
---
Not sure why I saw this, but I twiddled some memory settings, though
I'm not really using any delay pools...hmmm...

The fix for this is nearly out of a change audit now I hope. You can safely work around it by erasing the assert line 511 in mem.cc

Amos
--
Please be using
  Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.9