Search squid archive

Re: squid not starting on reboot

* Amos Jeffries wrote :
> On Wed, 18 May 2011 12:18:10 +1000, Troy Piggins wrote:
> >I've been having trouble with my server rebooting lately, and trying
> >to get to the bottom of that issue.
> >
> >But what I'm noticing a lot is that squid is not starting
> >automatically on the reboot.  The system is Ubuntu Lucid, not
> >compiled from source.  Default runlevel is 2, and squid starting
> >script is both in /etc/init.d and sym linked in /etc/rc2.d/S20squid
> >
> >Anyone think of a reason why it won't start?  In my very primitive
> >bash knowledge, I wrote a script into /etc/rc.local that I thought
> >would test if it's running, wait and loop until it does start.  But
> >even that's not working and the mails aren't getting sent.  Doubt
> >this problem is related, could be an error in the script but when I
> >test it manually it seems to work as intended.
> >
> >  #!/bin/sh -e
> >
> >  ps ax | grep squid | grep -v grep
> >  while [ $? -ne 0 ]; do
> >    mail -s "squid not started" root < /dev/null
> >    service squid start
> >    sleep 60
> >    ps ax | grep squid | grep -v grep
> >  done
> >
> >Any ideas?
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/squid/+bug/561779
>
> Upgrade to the package from Maverick.

Thanks mate.  Quick reply appreciated.  I've actually upgraded to
squid3 instead of 2 with a view to getting clamav incorporated as
well.  Not decided on dansguardian vs squidclamav vs squidguard yet,
but noticed that version 3 might be betting in that regard.

Will see if the problem persists next reboot.

--
Troy Piggins