Search squid archive

Re: HTTPS and Transparent Proxy

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 12:27:32 -0400, Mohammad Fattahian wrote:
Hi,

I just configured transparent proxy to use in my network.

I assume you actually mean NAT interception...

I found HTTPS is not going through the proxy when it is transparet.

Yes. "transparent proxy" is a man-in-middle security attack.

The protection to prevent man-in-middle attacks working is called HTTPS.

What should I do if I want to limit access to some HTTPS site?

* Configure your firewall to reject TCP port 443 to the IPs of the website you want blocked.

In a non-intercepting proxy HTTPS travels through as a CONNECT method request.

 * Configure Squid to:
    acl blockedWebsites dstdomain ...
    http_access deny CONNECT blockedWebsites

Amos