Search squid archive

'squid -k reconfigure' and connectivity breaking

Hi.

Around 6 months ago I switched from 2.7 to 3.1 for its IPv6.
I may be wrong, but after that I noticed that 'squid -k reconfigure' (I use my own custom quota manager, which web-interface issues reconfigure request when quotas are changed) now breaks existing connections and reopens listening sockets (and it says that in its cache.log). During this socket reopening a packet can be received from browser and if there is no listening socket on the server, a client then receives RST from operating system network's stack and then its browser shows 'The browser is configured with proxy which is refusing connections'. And this is sad, user start to think that this is a crash and starts ticketing my support staff.

Is this a 3.x-only behaviour or was 2.7 behaving identically ?
Anyway, is there a way to do a 'soft reconfiguration' ? Without closing HTTP/ICP/SNMP connections (or at least not breaking client connectivity), like 'apachectl graceful' does ? (I know that apache project actually has no relation to squid, but I like the idea and the implementation of this 'graceful' restart). At this time it looks like '-k reconfigure' is just quite similar to fast '-k kill' and restart.

Thanks.
Eugene.