Search squid archive

Re: squid 3.2.0.5 smp scaling issues

On 03/04/11 12:52, david@xxxxxxx wrote:
still no response from anyone.

Is there any interest in investigating this issue? or should I just
write off squid for future use due to it's performance degrading?

It is a very ambiguous issue..
 * We have your report with some nice rate benchmarks indicating regression
 * We have two others saying me-too with less details
* We have an independent report indicating that 3.1 is faster than 2.7. With benchmarks to prove it. * We have several independent reports indicating that 3.2 is faster than 3.1. One like yours with benchmark proof. * We have someone responding to your report saying the CPU type affects things in a large way (likely due to SMP using CPU-level features) * We have our own internal testing which shows also a mix of results with the variance being dependent on which component of Squid is tested.

Your test in particular is testing both the large object pass-thru (proxy only) capacity and the parser CPU ceiling.

Could you try your test on 3.2.0.6 and 3.1.12 please? They both now have a server-facing buffer change which should directly affect your test results in a good way.

Amos
--
Please be using
  Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.6