Search squid archive

Re: Differences between squid2.x and squid3.x

On 26/03/11 09:00, Dayo Adewunmi wrote:
Hi

I'm setting up 3.0.STABLE1-1ubuntu1 on Ubuntu 8.04 and copied over the
squid.conf from squid2.6.18-1ubuntu3. I get this error when trying to
start squid3:

2011/03/25 20:37:30| parseConfigFile: 'squid.conf' line 2663
unrecognized: 'broken_vary_encoding allow apache'

 From the config:

# Apache mod_gzip and mod_deflate known to be broken so don't trust
# Apache to signal ETag correctly on such responses
acl apache rep_header Server ^Apache
broken_vary_encoding allow apache

How do I do this in squid3?

Squid-3 does not (yet) cache based on ETag so does not need it.

Commenting out the apache acl lets squid3 start, but it's refusing
connections. Must have bungled something. Here's my squid3 config:
http://pastebin.com/UNuRa9ww

You have "transparent" flag on the receiving port. Make sure your NAT rules are passing traffic to it and symmetrical.

That or Squid is re-building its cache storage from the 2.x format seem the most likely causes of not answering. 50GB of disk may take a while to scan.

Few notes on the config:

 * http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports !Chat_ports ...

is pretty much a giant allow. You could redux the many !X ACLs down to a single ACL of ports which are allowed to use CONNECT.

 * cache_store_log is not very useful. you can set it to "none".

* "no_cache deny QUERY" and "cache deny QUERY" are redundant/identical. Drop the "no_query" one.

* Delay pool #1 does nothing. You are better off just using the deny rules to exclude requests from the other 5 pools so ones which would match here are not pooled at all.

* icp_port can be set to "0" to turn off ICP. Saves on processing the "deny all" with each ICP packet.

HTH
Amos
--
Please be using