Search squid archive

Re: Can squid test whether a redirect target is up?

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 15:17:38 -0400, David Guertin wrote:
Hello,

One of our remote web sites has a habit of going offline frequently.
I am trying to configure squid to act as a proxy for this site so that
if the site is down, the browser gets redirected to an alternate page
instead of getting a generic "server error" page.

Okay.

I have configured squid and squidGuard to handle redirects, but there
doesn't seem to be any way to add any kind of conditional statements
to the config, i.e. "if site A is up, redirect to site A, but if it's
down, redirect to site B."

Is there any way to do this? Is squid the correct tool for this?
Would a different redirector that squidGuard be a better choice?

Using a redirector for this is not a good choice. Redirectors only pass a URL to Squid to inform the client to try there. It is up to the redirector to test