Search squid archive

Re: max number of file descriptors ?

On 07/12/10 10:42, Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:
We're running squid-2.6.STABLE21-6 on RHEL5, and are running
running into the max number of file descriptors. I have increased
it to 64K, but we're still touching the limit.. The server load
is not high, but we do have many clients (about 170000 today
according to calamaris) that are polling the same slow service
often.

So, is there any reason not to raise --with-maxfd and max_filedesc ?

If you have max_filedesc available you don't need to touch --with-maxfd. The build option just sets the default for the squid.conf option.

Are there any upper limits/recommendations for these ?

Others seems to have no problems with FD as high as 400K. The OS can handle a few million apparently. Though each open one in Squid has a few KB of buffer and meta data attached, so they will be eating your RAM indirectly.

If the number of connected clients gets extremely high you could tune the client persistent connection timeout to reduce resource usage a bit.

An upgrade to 2.7 will also make the requests complete and be ready for release faster if you want to go that way.

Amos
--
Please be using
  Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.3