Search squid archive

STDERR is closed? So no std::cerr?

I've got some 'uncaught exception' coredumping squids which are leaving no clues about their deaths.
They are *meant* to be sending an SOS via:

main.cc:1162:        std::cerr << "dying from an unhandled exception: " << e.what() << std::endl;

but std::cerr isn't the cache_log is it. It's STDERR, aka FD 2.

COMMAND   PID   USER   FD   TYPE        DEVICE SIZE/OFF    NODE NAME
squid   22444  squid    2u  VCHR          13,2      0t0    3398 /devices/pseudo/mm@0:null

.. which according to lsof has been /dev/nulled, which is odd, as I had it
redirected to a file when it was started.

Should the fallback exception handler not be using another reporting channel?

I also notice that the root parent squid which waits for the child
eventually disappears, after restarting crashes, making the next crash
fatal. Is that normal? Does it react badly if it catches a HUP sent by a
'pkill -HUP squid' ?

DW