Search squid archive

RE: 304 response preventing site from loading

tor 2010-09-30 klockan 13:24 +1000 skrev Paul Freeman:

> However on further investigation, I don't think this is the case in this
> instance.  For some reason, the squid GET request to www.mhhe.com (IP
> 12.26.55.139) takes a long time to be completed - approx. 2 minutes.  Some
> data is returned quickly but then there is a period where on my squid server
> I see a TCP Previous Segment lost then squid server sending Dup ACKs to
> www.mhhe.com and www.mhhe.com sending TCP Retransmissions for the same
> segment.  The Retransmission RTTs to ACK the one segment are at 0.2,4,8,16,32
> and 60 seconds.  After that segment has finally been received, the rest of
> the data is received OK.

This smells like TCP window scaling issues in a firewall somewhere.

Try as a test:

  echo 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling

note that this is somewhat intrusive and reduces performance of TCP in
general, but is an easy way of testing for the problem.

Regards
Henrik