Search squid archive

Re: Slow basic authentication

Bucci, David G wrote:
Hi - I've got Squid configured on both the client and server (reference recent discussions on establishing an SSL tunnel for all traffic from a client to a server -- I'm using that configuration, though I've yet to turn on the SSL).

I'm seeing inconsistent, and generally slow behavior when accessing our origin server, which requires basic authentication.  Sometimes the browser prompts for uid/pw, sometimes it doesn't, and often it takes a loooong time.

Since you don't have the SSL yet it should be easy to grab a packet trace of the headers flowing between the two Squid and see whats going on that takes so long.

Using the Windows distro of 2.7 from Acme, build 8.

Are there any tuning options necessary when caching against servers that send back a 401 initially?  Though I didn't think it was correct, I've tried login=PASS on the cache_peer line in the client.

Should not matter 401 challenge headers are supposed to be passed straight through Squid.

Note that I have cache deny all set, on both the client and the serve, and proxy-only in the client's cache_peer parent line -- we're proxying access to web service calls, all of which should return unique results, so no caching needed/wanted.

Squid still needs to pass them through store in transit. Ensuring the presence of a Content-Length header can prevent Squid falling back on disk storage for temporary unknown-length objects. And a cache_mem at least big enough to store the required in-transit ones lets them fly past quickly.

I don't think that is related to the problem though.

When I set Firefox to NOT use the procy, there I no slowdown, I get immediately prompted for uid/pw.

Amos
--
Please be using
  Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.1