Search squid archive

Re: 2.7 STABLE 9 responds very slowly or stops responding

TJM wrote:
Hello again :D

I have spent some time debugging my squid.
Yep, it runs as a transparent proxy. The transparent port is different than 'user' port, but it was not blocked in any way. I changed that and also tweaked a few more things. So far everything works.

Could the problem be caused by hardware failure ? One of my SATA disks died today, suddenly crashed and it does not work anymore. Of course, this disk contained SQUID's cache. Perhaps it was quietly dying for last few days, however I checked all the logs I could find and didn't find any complains against disk read/writes.

Speed issues could be explained as disk death. Those requests are software issues somewhere. The via setting should clear them up.

Btw, is there any way to find how many FDs are in use ? I have a feeling that my cache does not use more than 100-200 at any time (unless something is wrong). From time to time SQUID dumps a complain to the cache.log about request too long or something and it shows FD, it was never higher than 100 during normal operation.

For a quick check the cachemgr info page or "squidclient mgr:info" command line shows a spot-check summary of the most useful/important stats. FD, hit ratios, cache size, memory, service times etc.

For deeper monitoring there is SNMP counters that can be graphed or whatever.
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Snmp

Amos
--
Please be using