Search squid archive

Re: squid3.0.25 hoggeing the CPU, serving little

Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
3.0.STABLE25 is showing the following behaviour during normal operation:

Hi Ralf,
Thank you for all this, but I'm wondering why you are putting so much work into 3.0? I ask because the major performance gains are aimed at 3.2. It could do with this type of analysis as part of the polish up.

* 100% (almost CPU usage)
* rapid increase in memory usage
* Sudden increase in memory usage
* fewer ICP Packets * rapid increase in service time
* rapid increase in DNS service time

See graphs here:
http://www.arschkrebs.de/bugs/squid.png

Okay, add to that a sudden extreme loss of known clients. And a sudden 'instant' drop in memory usage before the growth.

This looks to me like the usual culprit:
 A Squid crash followed by dirty rebuild of a large caches' index.

The behaviour in such a situation is complete non-response on the ports for a short period (extreme service times for existing clients, they simply get no further traffic and time out). Followed by a period of heavy reads as the entire cache_dir get scanned file-by-file for meta data to build the index. Some of which will fail as the un-closed files from previous instance are found. Accompanied by heavy writes as the swap.state journal gets rebuilt from each of those meta-data reads.

Under heavy client load this extra disk IO can lead to delays processing other actions and slower new client service times. Potentially a huge backlog of buffered in-transit data waiting to be stored in the cache. Which can't be written to until the index is loaded properly.

This latter can be alleviated by a sufficiently large in-memory cache, though older versions did not permit that space to be used until after the rebuild either.

proxy    10426 88.5 17.3 380636 357040 ?       R    10:42 110:54 /usr/sbin/squid3 -NsYC

% strace -c -p  10426

Over how long a time was the strace taken? just that 1.6 seconds or something longer?

Amos
--
Please be using
  Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.1