Search squid archive

Re: Re: Linux EXT3 optimizations for Squid

Heinz Diehl wrote:
On 08.08.2010, Marcus Kool wrote:
vm.swappiness=20
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50

Do you have some numbers that actually show a significant improvement?

No. I have experience. It seems that Amos has the same.

I think at least swappiness should better be 100 here, to free as much as
possible memory. Unused applications hanging around for a long
time can conserve quite a lot of pagecache which otherwise could be used
actively.

Do you have any proof to support this theory?

The inode cache on a system with 4 TB of diskspace is not more than ca.
400-500 MB, I doubt it makes sense to increase the kernels focus on reclaiming more pagecache (which you trying to preserve by lowering
swappiness).

The vfs_cache_pressure is used when where is pressure: when the system
is running low on memory. Always bad, but Linux has a configurable
choice: free up some memory by reducing the file cache or free up
some memory reducing the inode cache.  Squid uses a lot of inodes/files.
and inodes are the index of the file system, you need them to access
files.  Making a preference for inodes over file buffers is a good
choice.