Search squid archive

Re: Can a cache be "too big"?

Isaac Witmer wrote:
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Marcus Kool
<marcus.kool@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
yes.
1) the index is in memory and needs 10-20 MB index in memory for each GB on disk

I was under the impression (from the oriely squid manual) that recent
versions do not use up extra RAM with bigger caches.
But maybe I read it wrong?
Also, I'm a bit confused as there's only one apparent "memory" option
in the squid configuration.

Could you explain/point me to a tutorial?

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidMemory

2) the housekeeping of the index costs more CPU cycles for a larger cache
3) the housekeeping of the cached objects on disk costs time and grows when the cache is larger.  Can be minimised by having cache_swap_low 92 and cache_swap_high 93.

The system has 2 GB memory, assuming that the system is dedicated for Squid
you need 400 MB for the OS, leaving 1.6 GB for Squid.
A safe value for cache_mem would be 500 MB

There are many tuning parameters.
The best one is to have more disks.

Marcus

Marcello Romani wrote:
Ralf Hildebrandt ha scritto:
* Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt@xxxxxxxxxx>:

maximum_object_size 50 MB
cache_dir diskd /squid-cache 45000 16 16
request_header_max_size 15 KB
request_body_max_size 750 MB

The machine is 32 bits, MemTotal:        2060960 kB
Some stats from before "the purge":

1.4Mio cached objects
42GB Cache size

Could it be that cache_mem + memory required to manage 42GB of cache caused the squid process to be swapped ?