Search squid archive

Re: Multicast

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:46:44 -0500, Luis Daniel Lucio Quiroz
<luis.daniel.lucio@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le mercredi 7 avril 2010 22:59:59, Amos Jeffries a écrit :
>> On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 08:49:07 +0530, senthilkumaar2021
>>
>> <senthilkumaar2021@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > What is the use of multicast option in squid ?
>> >
>> > How to configure squid to multicast  messages and receive multicast
>> > messages?
>> >
>> > In order to configure multicast whether any configuration is  needed
in
>> > other than squid
>>
>> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/MultiCast
>>
>> Amos
>
> Amos, i have a doubt about this
>
> in  my lan 192.168.1.0/24 we are planning to set up squids in
workstations
> so
> we are planning to use multicasting so if caches may be shared.
>
> as we don tknow what ips are connected or not
> it is possible to stay a line like this?
> cache_peer 192.168.1.0 sibling 3128 3130 ttl=5
>
> or how can  we  manage this  without putting all each ip in all conffs

I have not dealt much with multicat myself. AFAIK, at present you can't.
But I can't see any real reasons why not.

The multicast reduces bandwidth for ICP requests going out, but once a
reply comes in it still needs to be linked to a sibling peer.

At this point some experimenting (or advice from Henrik maybe) is needed
to follow it further. The linking I think looks up an explicitly configured
peer based on the replying source IP. It may be useful to make the peer
dynamic if sufficient security protection can be added.

Amos