From: Király László [mailto:kiru@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 3:14 AM
To: squid-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  fail-safe and load balancing with reverse proxy

Okay, I compile a brand new 3.1.4 squid with --icmp-enable option.

I added also to the squid.conf:
---
pinger_program /usr/local/squid/libexec/pinger
query_icmp on
test_reachability on
---

It didn't help. :S

Hi List,

I use a squid3-3.0.STABLE8 reverse proxy on a debian system.
It makes forward queries to web server, which is accessible from 2
public ips.

My peer config:
---
cache_peer x.y.z.57 parent 80 0 no-query no-digest no-netdb-exchange
originserver name=parent1 round-robin login=PASS weight=16
cache_peer a.b.c.118 parent 80 0 no-query no-digest no-netdb-exchange
originserver name=parent2 round-robin login=PASS weight=1
---

I would like to do a fail-safe connection to the web server.

It's working, but if one of the public ips isn't accessible, there
is some Connection timed out (110) proxy message until the parent is
detected as dead, while the proxy tries to query the offline parent.

How can I eliminate this thing?
Why squid doesn't resend the query to the another parent?

I cannot set ICP queries while the parent is a simple web server.
Is there a way to make better dead peer detection?

Can I do this whith icmp queries?

Best regards,
László Király
------- End of Original Message -------

3.1 also brings in the cache_peer options connect-timeout and connect-fail-limit to set per-peer how long to wait for TCP connections to failover and how many attempts to allow before declaring it dead.

Note: ICMP and NetDB is used to detect the closest source when multiple are available. Not the live/dead status of a peer.

Amos
--
Please be using