Search squid archive

Re: Reverse proxy scenario

Sébastien WENSKE wrote:
Hi list,

I have set up a reverse proxy on a 100MB/s server to preserve my home
bandwidth (upload ~128KB/s). It works very fine, objects are stored in the
cache and served to the clients. However, I had last week a “rush” on my
blog, about 1500 visitor in two days that had result to overload my
connection with a huge amount of 304 queries.

Lucky escape there. How much bandwidth hit the public server? :)

My question is: Is it possible to tell Squid to not check the parent (my
local web server) if an object has been modified for a while? by directory
or mime type?

Squid-2.x has collapsed_forwarding feature, when turned on this reduces the actual number of requests going back by several hundred to a thousand percent.

Squid-2.7 also accepts "Cache-Control: stale-while-revalidate" headers from the server which AFAIK should reduce these 304 messages to one at a time and Squid sending out the old copy to any clients while it waits for an update. Also the related stale-if-error header which keeps the proxy providing visible content if the parent server goes offline for a while.

Amos
--
Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.16