Search squid archive

Re: Ifdown; -k reconfigure; ifup -> then no listening, is this dessirable?

Luis Daniel Lucio Quiroz wrote:
Hi Squids,

Joyeux Nöel & NY,

Well, here it is a question about Squid 3.x on Linux. I've realize that when there is a new Intet interface after squid has been started, squid 3x does not listen in that new thex. I've read that in Windows it works, but I hate windows jejeje.

Let me explain in a clearer way. Lets say we have a 2-eth machine. Eth0 is up, eth1 is down. then
1.  ifdown eth1
2. lets start squid
3. ifup eth1
4. squid doesnt listen in eth1 until you do a -k reconfigure.

I wonder if there is another way.  Of is this a bug?

This is a feature of how networking happens in Linux.

DETAIL: Squid does not listen on interfaces. Squid listens on IP addresses.

The default config with just a port number listens on a special wildcard IP address :: or 0.0.0.0 which the OS passes all traffic from all interfaces too.

Windows has a special message sent to all interested programs when interfaces change. If there is any equivalent in Linux we would be interested to know about it and see a patch making Squid listen for it.

Amos
--
Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.15