Search squid archive

Re: seemingly stupid question about cache_dir and TCP_HIT

B. Cook wrote:
Trying to setup a small local proxy for testing..

2.7 Stable7 on FreeBSD 32bit

here are the mem and cache entries from squid.conf..

# memory options
memory_pools off
cache_mem 1024 MB
maximum_object_size_in_memory 2 MB

## cache options
cache deny all
cache_dir null /tmp
cache_access_log /var/log/squid/access.log
cache_store_log none
cache_log /var/log/squid/cache.log
cache_mem 1024 MB
no_cache deny nocache
cache_effective_group squid
cache_effective_user squid

in short the TCP_HIT *never* happens..

341843 /var/log/squid/access.log
 60M    /var/log/squid/access.log

and the log is rotated daily.. so we are using the proxy *heavily*..

0

> grep -c TCP_MISS /var/log/squid/access.log
327072

is it because I have the cache_dir disable the reason for the 0 TCP_HITs?
If I understand correctly, you're only giving squid 1 GB worth of space to store any cached objects (in memory). This is really small. The LRU (least recently used) cleanup routine is probably deleting most objects before they are requested again, since you have such a small space. It does not surprise me that you are getting no hits.

Also, I think you should be searching for TCP_MEM_HIT. I think it will only log a TCP_HIT if it pulls from a disk cache.

Thanks in advance.