Search squid archive

Re: Help with srcdomain and IP lookups instead of rDNS

Mark Ruder wrote:
Hello squiddies.

I've configured squid/2.6.STABLE21, primary to disallow Internet
access when my users haven't done their timesheets. Since each
machine is named after the user it was pretty easy for me to get the
list of machines from DHCP, export and import into squid.conf - eg -

acl	username	srcdomain	username.internal.domain.com

then

http_access	allow	username

I comment out the users http_access entry when they haven't done
their timesheet, put it back in again when complete. I've got 150
acls each with srcdomain entries. Due to the hit I'm assuming I'd get
with rDNS I've configured BIND on the server.

My problem is that occasionally I'm seeing IP addresses popping up in
my access.log file and that user is denied - however when I do an
nslookup on that IP address I get the correct name back.

The median DNS lookup time is

DNS Lookups - 0.01535  0.03223

Which I guess is fast.

Does anyone have an idea on what my issue is? Too much srcdomain
stuff going on? If so, can anyone think of a more efficient way to
block users (without having to reserve all users in DHCP and block by
IP address)?

Hmm,  idea:  use real authentication.

Amos
--