Search squid archive

Re: getting started with Squid - suggestions on a router?

Kevin Dankwardt wrote:
I am trying to get started in a pilot project with Squid. I want to buy an inexpensive router to use as well. Apparently I need a router that will run WCCP and that means a Cisco router.

So, can anyone give me any leads on a cheap router that will work? Used would be fine.

thanks.

For Cisco routers you could try the 800 or 1800 series....

depending on how many users you need to support they are the most logical choice.

I use a Cisco 857W at home with my 9 servers and 4 laptops and is brilliant.

If you need a managed switch go for the 87x series, if you need more advanced stuff like FXS and FXO then 88x or if you are after a Metro Ethernet router the 89x is pretty capable.

See this for more information: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/index.html

HTH

Regards,

Kaya