Search squid archive

Re: Forwarding Apache .htaccess authentication

Kaya Saman wrote:
Many thanks for the response!!

From http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.6/cfgman/cache_peer.html...

use 'login=PASS' if users must authenticate against the upstream proxy or in the case of a reverse proxy configuration, the origin web server. This will pass the users credentials as they are to the peer. Note: To combine this with local authentication the Basic authentication scheme must be used, and both servers must share the same user database as HTTP only allows for a single login (one for proxy, one for origin server). Also be warned this will expose your users proxy password to the peer. USE WITH CAUTION

You mean use something like:

cache_peer parent.foo.net parent 3128 3130 proxy-only default proxy=PASS

???

Yes.

I took my config from here originally:

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Reverse/MultipleWebservers

with this layout of syntax:

[code]
cache_peer ip.of.server1 parent 80 0 no-query originserver name=server_1
acl sites_server_1 dstdomain www.example.com example.com
cache_peer_access server_1 allow sites_server_1

cache_peer ip.of.server2 parent 80 0 no-query originserver name=server_2
acl sites_server_2 dstdomain www.example.net download.example.com .example.net
cache_peer_access server_2 allow sites_server_2
[/code]

so for my setup I would need to do this I guess:

[code]
cache_peer ip.of.server1 parent 80 0 no-query proxy=PASS originserver name=server_1
acl sites_server_1 dstdomain www.example.com example.com
cache_peer_access server_1 allow sites_server_1
[/config]

unless I misunderstood the whole deal???

You seem to understand quite well.  :o)

And change that password everywhere it's used. :o) Basic authentication just encodes the credentials using Base64, which is reversible.

You mean change the password now that the encrypted string has been opened up to the list??

Yes.

Kaya

Chris