Search squid archive

Re: Squid and PDF

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 10:23:20 -0700, Randall Fidler <rfidler78@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     I have squid up and running and the one issue which is causing
> headaches is the viewing of PDF files.  From sites which are in my
> 'approved' list, if I click on a PDF link, my browser (Firefox) will
> just hang and I eventually have to kill it.  If I do the same action
> without going through squid (same machine, same browser, same site,
> etc.) then the Acrobat plugin fires up and I can view the pdf without
> issue - so to me it's a squid related problem.
>
> Is there some port which I need to allow?  If so I would think that
> Squid would give me a 'denied' error, not just cause the browser to
> hang up.
>
> Ideas?

Adobe are known to send HTTP range requests out of order.
Squid does not handle these but sends the request back to the origin server
instead. With range_offset set to fetch the whole file you might experience
hangs on large PDF files needing to be re-downloaded multiple times in
order to fetch the various range sets Adobe requests.

Amos