Search squid archive

Re: weird traffic

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:58:16 -0400, Matthew Morgan <atcs.matthew@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Leonardo Carneiro wrote:
>> you could bind squid to only listen the LAN interface. doind this, no
>> one will be able to estabilish a external connection with squid.
> I'll try that, but I thought my firewall rules were taking care of
> that.  They may not be though...I'm just recently learning iptables.
> I'll post back with the results.
>
> Thanks!

IIRC llnw.net are one of the providers for a lot of video content.  If your
Squid is configured to download a complete file on range requests and one
of your users started downloading a video then stopped Squid would show
this behavior.

Though yeah, a firewall spot-check is also good when strange things happen.

Amos

>> Matthew Morgan escreveu:
>>> I have squid set up as a transparent proxy.  It has two interfaces:
>>> eth0 (internet facing wan) and eth1 (local).  I'm using iptables to
>>> masquerade the packets from my local network on eth1 and redirect
>>> them to squid's port.  All this seems to work fine.
>>>
>>> The thing is, I keep seeing long periods of high incoming traffic on
>>> eth0, but low outgoing traffic on eth0, and nearly no traffic on
>>> eth1.  Every time I see this, the data is always coming from either
>>> llnw.net or msecn.net.  Both of these are legitimate content delivery