Search squid archive

Re: NTLM passthrough over https breaks during NTLM handshake

On 19.09.2009, at 04:40, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

fre 2009-09-18 klockan 17:23 +0200 skrev Benjamin Indermühle:

2009/09/18 09:05:38| fwdNegotiateSSL: Error negotiating SSL

I doubt that.
ntlm breaks during the handshake and not when starting the connection.
the ssl connection is established.

The errormessage says otherwise. fwdNegotiateSSL is when Squid
negotiates the SSL over a new connection to the requested server.

Regards
Henrik

I think that is the where problem lays.
Why does squid try to negotiate SSL over a connection which is not new but already established ?

Looking at the tcpdump shows me this.

[squid] open tcp connection
[squid] Client Hello ( open ssl tunnel )
[Exchange] Server Hello, Certificate, Server Hello Done
[Squid] Client Key Exchange
[Exchange] Change Cipher Spec, Finished
[Squid]  HTTPS GET NTLM Negotiate
[Exchange] HTTPS NTLM Challenge

[Squid] sends another Client Hello
[Exchange] terminates the TCP Connection

In my eyes the problem is that Squid resends a Client Hello into an already negotiated SSL Tunnel.
I am guessing that somehow it must invalidate the persisting tunnel.
Maybe there is something wrong with the certifcate, I dont know.
The fact is that this problem only appears during the NTLM handshake. Basic Auth or owa over the same setup does not cause any of this behavior.

I can just guess what the problem is.
Maybe there is some additional validation on the tunnel when Squid wants to send the password.

Regards
Benjamin