Search squid archive

Re: Transparent mode with just 1 Ethernet port ?

On Jul 28, 2009, at 3:53 PM, Kevin C. Connell wrote:

Thanks Kinkie, and Chris - much appreciated!

I am definitely going to upgrade Squid.

Regarding changing to transparent mode, I'm glad to learn that I can do it with a single Ethernet port, however, I am rethinking doing this, based on your input. I certainly don't want to complicate things for no solid reason.

We recently upgraded our network to MPLS (over a mix of DSL and T1 lines), and our network provider recommended that we switch to transparent mode on our proxy server. They manage all of the routers, and they have set our Squid box as the default route for all of our remote locations. I am questioning their recommendation: My thought now is that the Cisco's should default route everything out to the proper Internet portal based on location, and we leave the Squid box to do caching and proxying, and leave the routing to the Cisco's.

-Kevin

Hi kevin,
I've running squid transparent for years, and for scalability reasons I find myself just wishing I had everyone configure their browsers. mho

-j