Search squid archive

Re: how much RAM for squid proxy

Angela Williams wrote:
Hi!
On Tuesday 28 July 2009, qwertyjjj wrote:
How much RAM would be required to run Squid Proxy for a number of users?
I realise there is no exact answer but a rough guide?
For example, I have a linux proxy server with 100Mbit mainly retransmitting
and caching running video (I assume about 512kbps).
I'm guessing this could support up to 100 users or so but would 1GB RAM be
enough?
Server would be something like:
# CPU: Athlon 3800+
# CPU Details: 2 x 2.0 GHz
# RAM: 1 GB RAM
# Hard Disks: 2 x 160 GB (RAID 1 Software

More ram the better! I would go for atleast 2G.

Seconded.

The stats you gave would likely do fine for a group of 100 (I've done more with less), but any "extra" memory you can supply will be given to caching disk accesses and providing the kernel with buffer space.

Also go for the latest version of squid from either the 2.7, 3.0 branches.
3.0 seems pretty good but you must get the latest version 3.0.STABLE17 because of the security bug!
There is a ton of info in the wiki as well to browse over!

Cheers
Ang

Chris