Search squid archive

Re: squid behind firewall with only port 8081 redirecting to squid

frech wrote:
Hi Amos,
thanx again ;-)

OK, just to make it really clear (sorry about my bad english!!!) i try to
make a small illustration:

workgroup        connected by

workstation1)
workstation2|
                  |---network-HUB--eth1-{ Squid-Server
}-eth0---SWITCH------------------------Firewall-WWW
workstation3| (192.168.3.0) (192.168.1.0) Port 8080<----| dataserver )
There is NO router in the network of my workgroup. But the squid has to act
as something like a router.
Is this how you expected?

Ah, something happened to your diagram, but I managed to decipher it.
Yes, thats one of the regular setups. Better than the one I was thinking of earlier. You can ignore the policy routing and NAT stuff entirely to start with that setup.

The Squid box in that setup _is_ a router.

From an empty setup:

* assign the IPs to squid interfaces. (This alone sets up most of the routing properly in Squid box.)

 * add default route to Squid box (if missing, check first):
       route add default gw 192.168.1.1 dev eth0

 * Turn on the IP forwarding settings in Squid box sysctl.conf.

 * add route to firewall to gw net-3 through the squid box:
       route add 192.168.3.0/24 gw 192.168.1.2 dev eth*

* run whatever ping tests you can to check that traffic from 192.168.3.* workstations can get to the places they need to.

Thats it for routing.

Normal Squid config we already covered.

Now setup the 192.168.3.* boxes to use the proxy instead of going direct to the Internet for web stuff.

Simple. Done.

NP: It's also a good idea to setup the firewall on the Squid box and consider it an extra layer of protection for both subnets from bad action in the other subnet.

Amos
--
Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.10 or 3.1.0.11