Search squid archive

Re: Very strange squid problem

jotacekm wrote:
hello

squid version is:
squid                              2.6.5-6etch1

I dont have any of the features you related. Disk cache is:
cache_dir aufs /var/spool/squid 5000 16 256

i have debug_options ALL,9 and no errors reported on cache.log...

As you see its a huge log. Now that you have a trace cut that back to ALL,1 at most for regular use.

In the huge detailed trace, do you see anything specially intense at the period of slowness?

Amos

We have just moved the server to new hardware, and the problem still goes
on.

Amos Jeffries-2 wrote:
jotacekm wrote:
We have a proxy server running squid with a good number of clients
connected.

Sometimes clients just cant browse pages anymore (not all clients, but
most). They can ping the proxy, ping to outside servers, resolve dns, and
so
does the proxy server.
I checked CPU (5-10% usage), memory (not swapping), Disk, load,
connections,
firewall, everything is fine. No errors on systems logs and cache.log.
Squid
is up and running. Squid FD limit is 4096 but wasnt even near this limit
(netstat -na | grep 3128 | wc -l returned around 400 and lsof -nPi | grep
squid | wc -l returned around 30)

So, on the proxy server, I try "telnet 127.0.0.1 3128".Sometimes it times
out, sometimes it connects quickly, sometimes it takes like 5 seconds to
connect. I tried a lot of times and this is what keeps happening, most of
the time it does not connect. If i run squid -k reconfigure, telnet goes
back to normal and people browsing goes back to normal.

Has anyone here ever had a problem like this? Any ideas on what might be
the
cause?

Using any of these?

  Squid 2.6 or older
  ICAP
  diskd
  ident
  dnsserver helper
  large disk cache
  remote network SAN disk
  RAID

Logs would be the place to look. Specifically the cache.log, if there is no indication at the usual log level you run bump debug_options ALL,2 or ALL,3 and see if anything shows up more than normal when the problem is happening.

Amos
--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.9