Search squid archive

Re: how squid uses cache_dirs ?

Amos Jeffries wrote:
Without looking I'd guess that Adrian and the others who tuned COSS and Squid-2.7 for high speed reads/writes did something to bias the storage towards the most efficient cache_dire types available.

This seems to be a Squid default (from at least 2.5)...

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/store_dir_select_algorithm/

How "load" is determined, I can't really comment on.

If I had to guess I'd say make the split size the same and put it around 128KB (about 4 times avg). IIRC COSS uses 1MB strips to 2 objects per strip may or may not be good.

Stripe size is adjustable at compile time (--with-coss-membuf-size). It does default to 1MB.

I have not performed extensive tuning (haven't found the need), so I can't give any informed advice on proper object-per-stripe, or proper-maximum-size settings. Personally, I use a 50KB cutoff (51200 for both my min-size and max-size).

Amos

Chris