Search squid archive

Re: blocking Vary header

Chudy Fernandez wrote:
What are the disadvantages if we block vary header and pass to frontend Squid.

www -> squid2 -> Squid1 -> clients

squid2(vary header blocked, null cachedir,delay pool)
squid1(storeurl,always direct all html)

I no longer have issues(Bug#: 2678) on storeurl+vary for that setup, plus quick abort controllable by delay pool.
But I'm wondering what would be the disadvantages when blocking vary header.

The side effects depend on what the variants are produced.

The two most common to occur are:

Content display errors when Vary: Accept-Encoding is most used to send the correct encrypted or non-encrypted object to browsers. none, gzip/deflate are widely supported, but the others are browser specific.

With Vary: Accept-Language. You could end up trying to decipher a simple access denied error written in Korean simply because the last visitor to hit that page before you was from there.

Things get much worse when private information is coded in cookie or session Variants.

Amos
--
Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.9