Search squid archive

Re: Computers on my network cannot access internet via Squid cache

Mark Lodge wrote:

I have installed debian to run Squid cache as a caching proxy.
Ive been bashing away now for 2 days and i have managed to install squid (i first tried manually, but that did not work so i used synaptic software packager to install it (from Administration menu) That went well, thereafter i installed webamin to work with squid in a GUI

I have managed to start squid and added my range of IP addresses to the ACL list ( as mentioned here: http://doxfer.com/Webmin/SquidProxyServer )
I have added the proxy restriction too.

Now, i tried to test it.
I opened Iceweasel Web browser (on the same machine) and setit to use the Proxy server: localhost and port:3128
That works fine.

That's a good start.

But when i try to change the proxy setting to my machines ip (where squid is installed) :
Proxy server: 10.0.0.35 and port:3128
That does not work.

In what way does it not work? Do you get a Squid error page? Does your browser time out? Are there any hints in the access.log?

Am i missing something, please help
I then tried to set another windows PC on the network to:
Proxy server: 10.0.0.35 and port:3128
That also does not work.

I also edited the conf file to http_access allow all, but i do not know if i have doen it correctly,

Displaying your config file (preferably devoid of comments and blank lines) would help.

but maybe there is another problem?

There could very well be. Given the information given, I'd guess (in decreasing order of likelihood):
1) your server has a firewall preventing access to port 3128
2) the http_access rules are ordered incorrectly
or
3) your server is only listening on localhost

I would really appreciate your comments and help
Thank you in advance

Chris