Search squid archive

Re: changing the outgoing Ip address

Mark Fee wrote:
Amos Jeffries wrote:

I have set up an alias ip address on our proxy apollo and added what I
believe are the following significant lines to squid.conf

acl mark_pc src 10.16.52.33
tcp_outgoing_address 10.16.52.13 mark_pc
tcp_outgoing_address 10.16.52.237
server_persistent_connections off

Thanks for the help Amos.

1) check that both IPs 10.16.52.13 and 10.16.52.237 are assigned to an
outgoing interface on the Squid box.
 (done)

2) check that you are using a Squid 2.6 or later.

Ah No - 2.5.STABLE9

I am running debian etch, I had a go at upgrading to 2.6 but hit a few issues which I'm not happy about hacking until I have time to make sure I have a full backup and time to upgrade properly.

Is 2.6 known to fix tcp_outgoing_address or is it just the bare minimum that people are using these days. I work on an if it aint broke don't fix it principal, but once I have time I will upgrade to lenny and test.

3)
  tcp_outgoing_address 10.16.52.13 mark_pc
  tcp_outgoing_address 10.16.52.237 !mark_pc

DOH of course use a not!. This solves it, thanks for the help - I always hate to ask without wasting at least a day trying to fix, and then helps comes along and it's always something simple.

My test # 2 is now returning:-
 >> HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR     10.16.52.33, 10.16.52.13

and I am getting the correct filters for this different IP address.

Now how important is it that I upgrade to 2.6 (or later if I'm going to bite the bullet)?

Until you said you had success with the not! I was under the impression 2.5 only round-robin selected the listed IPs. Since you have a working setup now it's not highly urgent.

If you are really going to make a good try of upgrading I'd suggest going all the way to one of the current Squid at the point you do so. As of today its a choice between 2.7 and 3.0 depending on your exact needs. 3.1 is expected to be stable mid-year sometime.

Amos

however this hangs and timeouts my internet connection or slows it down
significantly. This is immediately fixed if I comment out the line
#tcp_outgoing_address 10.16.52.13 mark_pc

Can anyone shed light on this problem? Please page down for Conf file

***** Other tests I've tried. ******
1) Setting up a workstation on 10.16.52.13 and setting it to use
proxy.embc.etc directly - this worked fine.

2) Connecting to a server running phpinfo beyond both proxies
this reported the following whether the line was commented or not.
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR     10.16.52.33, 10.16.52.237

which makes me think that the embc server was not getting the correct Ip
alias at all (10.16.52.13) but the main one for eth0

--
Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.6