Search squid archive

CARP question

Hi,

Had a question about squid's CARP implementation.

Let's say I have a farm of squids sitting behind an SLB, and behind those I have a set of parent caches. If I were to enable CARP on the front-end caches, is the hash algorithm deterministic enough to result in a URL request seen by more than one edge cache to be directed to the same parent cache? Or will each front-end cache have its own hash assignments compared to the others?

Also, how does CARP handle parent server removals and/or additions (i.e. are hash "buckets" reassigned gracefully or are they all redistributed)? Is this behavior also deterministic between multiple front-end squids?

Thanks,

-C