Search squid archive

what is the difference between transparent and reverse proxy?

What is the difference between transparent and reverse proxy?

OK, it may sound like a naive question, but one can set up a transparent proxy to be a de facto a reverse proxy:

- redirect traffic (iptables) from port 80 to 3128
- add to squid.conf:

acl proxy_websites dstdomain .example.tld
http_access allow proxy_websites

And we have a transparent proxy which is a reverse proxy when someone is trying to reach www.example.tld.

Why should I use all directives for configuring a reverse proxy, if it works with the setup explained above?
Or, am I missing something important here?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org