Search squid archive

Re: reload_into_ims on

John Doe wrote:
From: squid proxy <squidcache7@xxxxxxxxx>
I cannot understand this:

#  TAG: reload_into_ims on|off
#       When you enable this option, client no-cache or ``reload''
#       requests will be changed to If-Modified-Since requests.
#       Doing this VIOLATES the HTTP standard.  Enabling this
#       feature could make you liable for problems which it
#       causes.
#
#       see also refresh_pattern for a more selective approach.
#
#Default:
# reload_into_ims off

could someone pls explain?

My understanding is:
client no-cache or "reload"   requests
   =  If the client fetches a page with its cache empty or with a "shift-reload"
will be changed to If-Modified-Since requests

No.
If a client shift-reload's AKA, sends Cache-Control: no-cache (meaning explicit 'dont send me cached content') in it's headers. - leaves you open to providing stale pages when you should not. (Due to bug #7 in Squid).

   =  Squid will ignore these no-cache headers and only retrieve objects that are more recent.

But... it does not work for me... :/
I have reload_into_ims on (plus ignore-reload ignore-no-cache in refresh_pattern) and each time I do a shift-reload in my browser, squid fetches again the whole page from the web server, even when he has everything already in its cache...

Are you sure Squid isn't sending a IMS request to the server and getting the entire object back? Its teh servers choice whether the respond to IMS with a full object or a 30x not changed.

Amos
--
Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.5