Search squid archive

Re: Squid 3.0 Segmentation Fault with ESI

Amos Jeffries wrote:
Duncan Booth wrote:
I'm trying to use Squid 3 with ESI enabled, and while it works fine for a few pages as soon as we put it under load it just crashes. I've tried a variety of squid 3.0 versions: from STABLE6 (which is the one we used on our development system) up to 3.0.STABLE13-20090212 and they all behave the same.

<snip>
ESI is still very experimental. I'll look into this and see if I can find a fix.

Can you rebuild squid with --disable-optimizations please, and get a trace from that build which indicates which of the inline functions has failed?

I did that, but before I post it I decided to try to track the problem down a bit more for myself.

What is happening is that I set the backend server to add the Surrogate-Control header to everything in a specific folder. That included images and squid so far as I can tell doesn't seem to do any sanity checking such as Content-Type starting with text/. I pinned the issue down to a single specific image that crashes Squid reliably (as in I start squid and send a single request for that image and get the crash). The image in question (should anyone want to try to reproduce the problem) is at http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/content/ethicalcollection/images/EC_hub_buyagift3.jpg

So my first order is to figure out how to get the Surrogate-Control header set only on HTML files (it's IIS so I'm not entirely sure how easy that will be) and then, with any luck, I'll be ok. Should I file a bug report for this (even if it is my misconfiguration of the server I still think it would be nicer if Squid didn't crash) and if so what information should I include?

Duncan