Search squid archive

Problems forcing mandatory proxy use.

I have squid operating well on a small NAT network. Currently - all clients select "automatic proxy detection" and that is all working correctly with proxy.pac script on the http server. I wanted to ensure that the proxy is handling ALL http traffic ALL of the time - so I can be confident of the statistics generated by sarg (squid analysis and report generator).

I thought this should e easy. I have a netgear DG834G router acting as the internet DSL connection. I added 2 outgoing firewall rules in the Dg834G:
1) allow all going traffic from the squid servers local IP.
2) Block port 80 traffic from all (other) local ip addresses.

When I apply these 2 rules - the network experiences erratic internet access. Some sites work some of the time - but not everything works correctly. I have tried disabling the above rules - then enabling just rule 1 - and even then the network behaves erratically. Note that rule 1 is an "allow" rule. But as soon as I disable both rules - everything returns to normal.

This seems very weird to me. Can anyone suggest some subtlety I am overlooking? I have checked the netgear knowledge base and there are no glaring bugs reported related to this behaviour. I have updated to the latest netgear firmware. I can only assume the DG834 is not behaving as expected. Can anyone se another explanation?

In case it is relevant - the linux box is performing squid, dns, dhcp, http and lots of other stuff but the dg834 is performing NAT (and only NAT).

Thanks

Richard.