Search squid archive

How important is harddisk performance?

Hi there.

I'm planning to build a new dedicated Squid-box, with amd64 and 4 gigs of RAM, with two cache_dir's on two separate harddisks and Squid-3 doing application level striping, all servicing around 6k users. Will two recent IDE disks of 7200 rpm suffice, or I'm better off getting two 15000 rpm SCSI disks on a dedicated controller board? Just not sure if performance gains would be noticeable by an average user, given enough ram. I read this too: http://wiki.squid-cache.org/BestOsForSquid
Just double checking.

Thanks for any tips.