Search squid archive

Re: Cannot get videos from msnbc that have # in URL - Found it!

Nicole wrote:
On 12-Nov-08 My Secret NSA Wiretap Overheard Amos Jeffries Saying  :

 Hello all

 I have started to receive complains from people trying to get video's
from
msnbc.com that use a # character in the URL.

Such as:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/27657223#27657223
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/27652443#27652443

The access log shows that it is removing the pound sign and everything
after.

7 TCP_MISS:DIRECT
9.2.2.7 - - [11/Nov/2008:09:59:30 -0800] "GET
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/27657223 HTTP/1.1" 200 477
TCP_MISS:DIRECT
9.2.2.7 - - [11/Nov/2008:10:00:18 -0800] "GET
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/27652443 HTTP/1.1" 200 477
TCP_MISS:DIRECT

 I cannot see in my config why it would be truncating out the pound
character.

 Any assistance greatly appreciated.
The # symbol is part of the private URL format for certain objects such as
HTML pages and has meaning only in the receiving browser software. Client
software is expected to strip it before sending the request.

Amos

 I found it!

 I have been obfuscating myself as using a squid cache for some time using the
code below.  However this line - header_access Via deny all - blocks those URLS
from showing up.

#### Blocks info that says Hey I'm Squid
header_access Via deny all
header_access X-Forwarded-For deny all
header_access X-Cache deny all
####

Thus

#### Blocks info that says Hey I'm Squid
##header_access Via deny all
header_access X-Forwarded-For deny all
header_access X-Cache deny all
####

 Allows me to see the videos. How weird is that!
 I do not know what effect it will have on my obfuscation yet however.

People who really care will be able to see your Squid in the middle and what version it is. No private details are lost.

 Any idea's on why their URLs (and as far as I know only their URLs) would break
with this?

'Smart' software at their end provisioning the stream HTTP encoding based on the client user-agent. But smart enough to notice and adapt for middleware like Squid.

Amos
--
Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.1