Search squid archive

Re: Is Squid the right tool for the job?

A squid expert can say whether a squid on your 'B' machine can take a plain HTTP request from A to B and turn it into an HTTPS request from B to C. (I don't know, maybe.)

But I suggest you look into "SSH tunneling", and specifically the ssh "-D" option for setting up a SOCKS proxy.

Then, if B can ssh into (a guest account on) C, it can also tunnel connections from A. And if whatever on A is generating the message can use a SOCKS proxy (and most HTTP libraries should be able to), you're set.

Hope this helps,

- Gordon

gms5002 wrote:
Hello,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am a little out of my element
here. Our sysadmin recently left, leaving me in charge of this project. Basically what we need to do is encrypt a message from our client's server
(we cannot touch their server though) and get it over the public internet to
our data center.

[A - client server] ---unencrypted message-->[B - our server at client
location] ----send via ssl over the public internet--->[C - our data center]

Now, I am a software engineer and pretty unfamiliar with networking.  It was
suggested to me that I set up a Squid proxy on our server at the client
location to handle the encryption and redirection.  I am trying to get this
to work unencrypted first, so I've set up 3 Ubuntu machines here in the
office to simulate the above scenario.  I've been able to access a web page
hosted on server C from computer A.  However, when I try to send a plain
text message through a socket I get a response back indicating that the HTTP
request is invalid (and the Squid logs show the same error).  I am thinking
that Squid may not be the right tool for this job...is there any way for
squid to handle something like this?  If not, does anyone have any
suggestions?  In a nutshell I need something that can handle 'Take all
traffic from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, encrypt it, and send it to
yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy:zzzz.' Thanks so much for your help!