Search squid archive

negative_ttl vs. an Expires header -- which should win?

Using 2.6.14-1ubuntu2 in an reverse/accelerator setup.

My backend/parent is by design setting explicit 'Expires' headers 1 day into the future, even on 404/403/302 response codes.

I'm seeing the 4XX responses later served as TCP_NEGATIVE_HITs, which is good.

It appears, from my testing, that they are sometimes cached a bit longer than 'negative_ttl', but they are not cached as long as the Expires header suggests, even with plentiful cache space.

What is the designed intent of Squid -- should the 'negative_ttl' or the Expires header be definitive?

- Gordon @ IA