Search squid archive

Re: Share authenticated sessions between two Squid severs

Pau Villarragut wrote:
Hi,

I want to build a cluster with two nodes of Squid Server. I have enable authentication to an Active Directory database via ntlm_auth.
It's possible to share the user authenticated sessions between nodes??

Not that I ever heard of.

HTTP contains nothing such as a 'session'. So normal auth is sent on every single request.

NTLM gets around that by authenticating not the request, but the TCP link itself. You cannot have two servers and a client on the same link.

You can do NTLM auth on both squid though, and have the user authenticate with whichever one its trying to use at the time.

keep-alive + persistent connections also come into play to keep a whole series of requests from client to a single squid going down the same authenticated link.

Amos