Search squid archive

Re: Huge log files

Alejandro Bednarik wrote:
Amos Jeffries wrote:
wrote:
Hi

My squid log files, access and store, are becoming bigger and bigger;
more than 600 megabytes each. Does it affect squid's performance? Can
I delete them and start over?
store log is not really needed unless debugging storage, or doing fancy
cache monitoring.
   You can configure that to 'store_log none'.

For access.log you should be doing regular rotation of logs (squid -k
rotate). It has side-effects in other areas such as cache journals,
which might be more of a performance hit.

Squid only appends to its logs, so the size does not really matter until
they fill the whole disk space and crash something. Mine are happy up at
2GB/day for access.log and 40GB/day for debug cache.log.

Amos

  Squid add an entry in logrotate directory's to do this jobs. Do you have
cron running and logrotate installed?

Yes. I have a standard self-built Debian Linux install.
Cron does not do any rotation, logrotate does.

By 'getting bigger and bigger' do you mean that each days/weeks log is increasing (no problem), or that the logs don't appear to be rotating? (problem)

Amos