Search squid archive

Re: HDD Configuration Recommendations

John Doe ha scritto:
  I'm preparing to move my squid to new hardware. I have two 500GB
SATA HDD's in the new box which will be used to store squid's cache
on. Any suggestions on the best raid config for these guys so as to
maximize performance?

two disks = RAID 0 or 1

RAID 1 is mirroring:
 - Pros: safe (goes on even with a dead HD), fast reads (from both disks)
 - Cons: you only use 50% of total HD space (500GB total in your case).

RAID 0 is stripping:
 - Pros: fast reads/writes and you use 100% of total HD (1TB)
 - Cons: unsafe (you lose 1 HD, you lose everything).

Or just don't use RAID and create a cache_dir on each HD...
Best would be RAID1 for the system and no RAID for the cache_dirs I think.

JD

I would add that a dead or malfunctioning drive could harm service uptime if the caache dirs are not on raid1.
Therefore I would suggest keeping everything on raid1.

--
Marcello Romani
Responsabile IT